Sunday, May 27, 2012

Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone (JK Rowling)

Oops, I seem to have  misplaced my copy of HP and the PS,
so here are some of the others :)
This is the book I found interesting enough to write my master's thesis about. I have loved the Harry Potter books since I read the first chapter; I love the world, the magic, the characters and the fun and exciting stories that are both personal to the characters and super important for the world! The part that I found interesting enough to write a thesis about, is the setting. A magical world inside the world we know and live in. And the difference between the real world in England and in Norway and what difference the translation makes to the magic. I could go on and on (and I have, in my thesis), but I think I'll be nice instead and tell you just a little bit about what you can expect from this first book in a series of seven.

Harry Potter is an orphan, living with his not so nice relatives. He goes to a normal school, in a super normal town in England. He is not treated very well, and some very odd things start happening to and around Harry, for instance when he gets to know a huge snake in the zoo. When the boy gets his admission letter from Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, a new life starts for him. He is a wizard! Of course there is also some drama and quite some excitement to be had at such a school, but what I love most of all in this first book in the series, is the fun of exploring the magical world alongside young wizard Harry.

This book is not very long, its language is fairly easy to read (once you learn to recognize the magical world words), and I wholeheartedly recommend this book for absolutely everyone who has not yet read it! Go on. Give it a go.

(Bonus kitty pics after the jump :D)

No comments:

Post a Comment